You can share a batch of files with students very quickly and easily by using Moodle's "Folder" resource.
Prepare Your Files
- On your computer, organize the files that you plan to upload in folders labeled "assignments," "exercises," "resources," "presentations," "lecture notes," "term project," "images," etc.
- Place all of those folders in a parent folder with a meaningful name (such as fr102-fall13).
- Review all of the file and folder names—rename files or folders to remove any symbols (# & %, etc.) as Moodle doesn't play well with them.
- When your files are all ready to upload, open Windows Explorer (PC) or Finder (Mac) and locate your parent folder (fr102-fall13).
- PC: Right-click on the folder and choose Send to... > Compressed (zipped) folder.
Mac: Right-click or Ctrl-click on the folder and choose Compress (folder name).
- Verify that the compressed folder size is less than 50MB. If it's bigger, you need to compress a smaller batch of files. Large video or audio files should not be posted in your Moodle site—contact Cora Yockers for assistance in making them available to your students.
Upload Your Files—Drag and Drop Method Required
If you are using Firefox as your browser, you can drag and drop your .zip file onto your course page to create a folder.
- Turn editing on in your course to enable the drag and drop function.
- Reduce your Moodle window so that you can see a list of your files as well as your course main page.
- Select your .zip file with your mouse and drag it over to the module where you want it to reside.
- In the Add file(s) here field that appears, position the .zip file so that a →Move pop-up script appears (1). Let go of the file.
- Indicate that you want the file to be unzipped to create a folder by clicking on Upload (2).
- The new folder will appear, complete with subfolders and files (3).
Manage Files in a Folder
To upload more files later, click on the name of the folder and click on Edit files. Add more files or remove them as needed. BE SURE TO SAVE CHANGES any time you add or delete files in a folder!
Bonus Tip: Check out this related link on sharing student files with your class.
Display Folder Options
Upload Your Files—Add a Resource Method (Internet Explorer)
If drag and drop is not enabled in your browser (that is, you are not using Firefox), you need to use the Add an activity or resource method to upload your folder.
- Turn editing on in your course.
- Click on the Add an activity or resource link.
- Scroll down and select Folder.
- Name the folder and enter a description for it in the box provided.
- Drag and drop your zip file into the file selector box or use the Add link in the top border of the box to locate and attach your zip file. Depending on the size of your zip file, it may take a few minutes to upload.
- Once the file is uploaded, click on it and choose Unzip to unpackage the folder and all of its files.
- After unzipping the file, click on the .zip file again and choose Delete to clear the redundant file off the Moodle server.
- Save changes.