Sometimes publishers’ test banks can be imported into Moodle just fine, but sometimes they won’t quite work. Here’s one solution that we have found for a test bank that won’t “parse” when you attempt to import it. (Note: These instructions are written for a PC. Mac users will need to interpret some of the specific steps for their environment.)
- If Moodle is not offered as a potential test format when you create your test bank, choose Blackboard version 6 or above.
- Save the resulting zip file to your computer in a handy spot.
- Open Windows Explorer, then locate and open the zip file.
- Click on the link labeled Extract all files in the Folder Tasks work pane on the left side of your screen.
- Follow the prompts provided to extract the files to a new folder.
- In Moodle, click on Import, then select Blackboard as the file type.
- [This step if only necessary if you find that the file you upload does not create its own category when you import it — see step 11... In the General area, use the pull-down menu to select the category that corresponds to your test bank (Chapter 1 Pool).]
- Use the Browse button in the Import from file upload…. field to open the folder containing the extracted files or open Windows Explorer (Files on a Mac) to drag and drop your file in the file picker box.
- Select the file that has the dat extension (it will end in .dat). If there are several .dat files, try the largest file first.
- Click on Upload this file (and cross your fingers!).
- If the questions load correctly, begin cheering and scroll down to click on Continue (or click on the Categories tab to verify that the questions were created in a category. If not, set up categories for the test banks that you intend to import (“Chapter 1 Pool,” etc.).
- If the questions do not load correctly, don't be discouraged. Contact the Center for Instructional Support for more options.
You may find that you need some side-by-side assistance. Give us a call and we’ll sit down with you to get it done. For your reference, the entire guide to Moodle quizzes is posted at this link.