There are a number of factors that can lead to a user not being able to log into webpages.sou.edu: misconfigured client, denied host certificate, banned by fail2ban (only off-campus), etc. Therefore, in order to more fully diagnose the issue(s) that are occurring it would be helpful to have the following information:
- SFTP client and version
- Logs from the SFTP client, especially looking for the exact connection time and duration of the problem
- OS and version
- Screenshot of how the client is configured
- Record the error message verbatim or take a screenshot of it
- What is the IP address of the computer the user is connecting from?
- Can the user log in to Remote Desktop and use WinSCP and do they still have the problem?
If the user can connect via remotedesktop but not from home, then this points to some local client or authentication issue: fail2ban, home network connectivity, SFTP client misconfiguration and/or denied host certificate; however, if it is a problem both via Remote Desktop AND from home then it would point to some other issue on the server.